Saturday, January 3, 2009

So Huck has a friend over to play today

We have Nomad over to play today.  He came over at 9:30 and I truly thought they would be done with each other by 1 or 2.

I envisioned arguing and possibly tears (there have been tears, all Huck and all over the Wii that he has been master of until today).  However, they have not fought and they have not caused each other to cry.  The tears have all been short lived and mostly due to hunger or Wii-fatigue.

Right now they are happily playing and Truck has gone to run errands......WITH WORM!  Yes, he volunteered to take the baby with him (Jo & Big E, I expect some comments on this - encouraging this behavior if you can get past your shock).  I almost told him not to (see the posts from 1/2, 12/16, 12/15. 12/11, 11/10...etc for reasons why I might suggest that he NOT take Worm along).  

So I have some free time, what do I do?  First I made mini hamburger patties.  Then I peeled and chopped potatoes.  Then I realized that I was spending my free time starting dinner so I mentally kicked myself in the ass and drank a small glass of wine.  

Why a small glass?  Two reasons.  Number one, Nomad is here.  Anything more than a small glass feels inappropriate.  Number two, that's all I had.

Anyway, the play-date (that term sounds really gay and slightly naughty, I will try to think of a better term) has gone so well that Nomad is going to stay for dinner.  I cannot tell you how happy I am to have another friend that I like having at my house.

We have one friend that I like already.  He is polite and really bright and lives in our neighborhood. Then, as a bonus, I like his mom enough to hang out with her socially.  All around the perfect friend for Huck.  Grandpa actually met them at McDonald's in a weird little bit of coincidence.  That is just one of the many reasons I will be eternally grateful to Grandpa.

But, back to Nomad.  It has worked out fabulous with him as well.  He is also polite.  This is much more important to me that I would have thought.  Spend a few hours (or minutes) with an impolite kid and then you will understand where I'm coming from.  Plus he is smart.  This is as important to me as I thought it would be.  Spend a few seconds with a dumb kid and you will want to smack him.  I know that sounds harsh, but it's my blog and I don't care what you think. 

So we now have another great kid in our lives.  As my t-shirt says, Life is Good.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fantastic. Chi had one of those kinds of friends in preschool. Lucas' was polite, nice, smart, well-spoken, and really got on well with Wynni, too. Plus his mom was really nice and I enjoyed her company and Lucas' two other siblings were around my younger kids' ages and THEY were polite and nice and played well with others...namely my kids. But Chi and Lucas don't go to the same elementary school and to top that off they don't have the same schedule. Lucas is in a year round school and Chi is in a traditional school. This makes maintaining a friendship much harder than you would imagine. Non-existant really. So we generally hang with cousins mostly as Chi has a knack for picking the mean kids at school to be friends with. Plus, I'm socially inept in that I don't like people, don't like talking to new people, and generally would prefer to stay out of situations requiring me to use any amount of converstation skills beyond, 'Good and you?' and 'Please and Thank you' and 'Have a good (insert appropriate time of day)'.

    Politeness is underrated in my opinion. I prize it highly.

    ReplyDelete